Donald Francis Lighty, Partner
I have spent my entire legal career defending people and corporate entities in personal injury, civil, contract, employment, real estate and workers' compensation matters. I have tried over 135 jury cases as the primary trial counsel in state and federal courts throughout the state.
In 1985 I was fortunate enough to begin my legal career handling personal injury claims including automobile wrecks and workers' compensation matters throughout southeast Texas. This allowed me to obtain much needed experience before juries, including in counties known for awarding excessive plaintiffs' verdicts. Over the years clients have retained me to represent them in other parts of the state, and am now statewide counsel for many entities including municipalities, political subdivisions and major corporations.
ln 2022 I became a founding partner of Wells Peyton Partain Baldo & Lighty, LLP. The firm was formed to continue our commitment in defending those who have been sued. l have expanded my practice to include the defense of real estate professional liability claims, as well as representation of clients before administrative law entities such as OSHA, Texas Workforce Commission and the Texas Department of Insurance-Division of Workers' Compensation.
I have been married for thirty-five years, raised three sons, two of which have chosen to follow me in the practice of law. I have served in many philanthropic boards including United Way of Beaumont & North Jefferson County and Beaumont Crime Stoppers. have also served on the Board of Directors for the Jefferson County Bar Association and Jefferson County Young Lawyers Association. Currently I am a member of the State Bar of Texas, the Texas Association of Defense Counsel, a Fellow of the College of the State Bar of Texas and a Life Fellow of the Texas Bar Foundation. I am the former Chaim1an of the District 3A Subcommittee of the Unauthorized Practice of Law (1993-2014) and a member of the Equestrian Order of the Knights of the Holy Sepulcher of Jerusalem."
- Personal Injury Litigation 40%
- Civil Trial Law 20%
- Workers' Compensation Defense 30%
- Real Estate Professional Liability 10%
- St. Mary's University School of Law, San Antonio, Texas
- J.D., Doctor of Jurisprudence - 00/1985
- Southern Methodist University, Dallas, Texas
- Major: Business Administration
- Texas, 1985
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1991
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit, 1987
Certified Legal Specialties
- Personal Injury Trial Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization, 1992
- Workers' Compensation Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization, 2007
- Civil Trial Advocacy, National Board of Trial Advocacy, 1996
- Civil Pretrial Advocacy, National Board of Trial Advocacy, 2012
- Texas Bar Foundation, Life Fellow, 2015 to Present
- College of the State Bar of Texas, Fellow, 1995 to Present
- Benckenstein Norvell Bernsen & Nathan, LLP , Partner, 1985 to 1998
- Stevens Baldo & Lighty, PLLC, Partner, 1999 to 2021
Classes and Seminars
- Workers' Compensation Seminars, Texas Bar CLE, 2010 to Present
- Employment Law updates, Various professional seminars, 1990 to Present
- Litigation topics, Jefferson County Bar Association, 2000 to Present
Current Employment Position
Honors and Awards
- Selected to Super Lawyers, 2009-2022